Wednesday 16 May 2018

'The Way of the World' at the Donmar Warehouse

I distinctly remember not reading 'The Way of the World' at university. I had to read Dryden and Pope and their wordiness was enough to turn me off other 17th Century writers and so it was with William Congreve. I knew the reputation of 'The Way of the World' but couldn't face reading it so I didn't. Fast forward 40 years (not quite) and it's on at the Donmar so, why not? Seeing it will fulfil my obligation without having to read it. It stars Haydn Gwynne and Geoffrey Streatfield so that's a good thing. And I can drink a glass of red while I watch so that's ok.

And you know what? I loved it! Yes, there were far too many words but when a speech went on for too long for my fancy I could inspect the gorgeous costumes, particularly the frock coats (and yes, I had a favourite). Most of the frocks were a bit 'meh' but Haydn Gwynne's were lovely and floral. One needs to have standards, obviously.

Basically, it's a tale of morality and immorality, of swindling and scheming, of nasty people and nice people, love and marriage, sex and infidelity and everything inbetween. It's also about word-play and word-games, of getting one up on another, the class system, the city (and society) against the country and all-sorts. I don't think it's particularly in favour of anything - that's up to you. It's easy enough to read the story online if you want to.

I was very impressed with Haydn Gwynne, merrily throwing herself around trying to find the right pose and moment to meet her new beloved and her distress on her betrayal. I know we're supposed to find her funny as an old woman chasing younger men but I saw the pathos as well as the humour and thought she was very effective. Similarly with Geoffrey Streatfield who moves from rake to saviour almost imperceptibly. Sadly for him, I will always remember him 'going down on a tree' on that stage in 'My Night With Reg'. Not in that wig, though. I also loved Fisayo Akinade as the permanently pissed fop in the best frock coat I've ever seen. Drunk or partially sober he was excellent.

If you get the chance then go along and see it - it's actually great fun!

No comments: