Saturday 14 April 2018

'Thoroughly Modern Millie' at Richmond Theatre

There's a new production of 'Thoroughly Modern Millie' on your at the moment and we caught it at it's first stop, at Richmond Theatre in class-war territory in west London. I've always liked the film since seeing it on Sunday afternoon telly in the 1970s with Julie Andrews, Mary Tyler Moore and Carole Channing. It's a rather silly romp of a story but I don't care, I like it. I wanted to see the Broadway stage version on a visit to New York but it came off a week before our visit; I didn't see the West End version (mainly because of the cast) so I wasn't going to miss this version. It's a 'star vehicle' show for Hayley Tamaddon who I don't know at all but I'm pleased she got this show on the road.

It's the tale of small-town girl, Millie, getting to New York and becoming all 'modern' by having her hair cut short and investing in short frocks while, all the time, trying to find a boss she can marry and become rich. As you do. We follow her trials and tribulations of job-hunting, falling for the wrong, i.e. poor, man and suffering the boss she longs to marry calling her Bob. Yes, there's probably something going on with that particular boss. Interweave a story of showgirls who've been adopted or are alone in the world vanishing into white slavery and you have the bones of a story. And that's all we get, the bare bones. There are various ins and outs but that's basically it. Until the mandatory happy ending but I won't tell you what it is since it's so long since I've seen the film that I'd forgotten the ending and you might have too.

I'm not a fan of the soaps so I've no idea who Hayley Tamaddon is but she was good as Millie, bright, loud and cheerful, endlessly energetic and definitely up for it. She had a good stage voice and brought a nice smiley spark to the stage whenever she was on (which was most of the time). It must be an exhausting role for her. I also liked Michael Colbourne, the big drip of a man who is penniless and  who Millie falls for only to find out that he's actually... but that would be telling. There's also Nicola Blackman playing the Carol Channing role of Muzzy and, as soon as she came on to sing her first song I couldn't help but think, 'ah a proper singer'. Not a belter but someone who knows how to use her voice. I've seen Nicola in various things over the years (last time as a Victorian matron) but this was the first time I've heard her sing and what a lovely surprise!

It's a small cast for the show but they clearly put their all into it and there's some great dancing and ensemble numbers in the show. I saw them on something like their third or fourth performance so, give them another week or two and they'll really gel and play off each other. Well done people and good luck for the rest of the tour!

No comments: