Sunday 24 August 2014

Suzi Quatro: 'The Girl From Detroit City'

There's a new four-CD box set from Suzi Quatro due out on 20 October 2014 called 'The Girl From Detroit City'. It's being released by those nice folks at Cherry Red and includes 82 songs, three songs by The Pleasure Seeekers (Suzi's first band), three new songs recorded for the box set and 20 previously unreleased songs. Not bad!

Despite being a long-time Suzi fan I didn't see her play live until 2007 when she played at the Cannizaro Festival in Wimbledon. She supported SLADE on their 1972 tour but I didn't get a ticket to that gig so missed her. When I found out she was playing a few miles from my house then I *had* to go. I met her after the show briefly and she signed the postcard I had of the famous photo of her in her leathers in the National Portrait Gallery (yes, Suzi is in our national collection of portraits). The signed photo is framed and on display in my hallway.

I met her again in 2008 at her book signing for 'Unzipped', her autobiography, and had my photo taken with her. I was a little bit thrilled at that!

I'm looking forward to this new box set, hearing some new songs and some old, long ago songs that I haven't heard before or for a long time. Suzi changed things for women in music and deserves the credit for that. Rock on, Suzi!

No comments: