Saturday 28 December 2013

Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake at Sadler's Wells

My final pre-Christmas treat was, as has become traditional in recent years, a trip to Sadler's Wells to see the annual Christmas production of a Matthew Bourne show. This year it was the turn of 'Swan Lake' again which is one of my favourites. I'd originally booked tickets for Saturday night but had to change them to the Sunday matinee when Kim Wilde announced her Shepherd's Bush Christmas party (well, I had to didn't I?).

I've seen the production four times before and was lucky enough to have seen the lead performers in those productions. Jonathan Ollivier as The Swan/Stranger, Simon Williams as The Prince, Kerry Biggin as The Girlfriend and Michela Meazza as the cold Queen. Despite having seen it before I still forgot some of the scenes and it was nice to be reminded of them, such as the ballet scene with the butterflies and the hunter (and the Girlfriend dropping her handbag!).

The storytelling is excellent and the dancing even better. One of my favourite scenes is when the Prince and the Swan first meet at the Lake and, from discord, gradually start dancing together over a long scene in which we see the swans enjoy themselves with their own group dances. At the end of that scene the Prince and the Swan are in total harmony, a great uplifting and joyful moment to see them together.

If you haven't seen it yet then you really should - it's a great work of art that needs to be seen to be believed.


Flap flap flap!

No comments: