Wednesday 23 October 2013

Do You Remember Your First Record?

Well, do you? Mine was 'Lola' by The Kinks and I got it for Christmas in 1970. Over the summer 1970 me and my brothers went to stay with our aunt and uncle while my mother was in hospital for an operation so that my dad and grandma could focus on my mother. My cousin Jackie was a few years older than us and well into music. That summer there were two big records, 'Rainbow' by Marmalade and 'Lola' by The Kinks. They were played endlessly on the radio and on Top Of The Pops.

Back to school and my mam was out of hospital and doing fine. That Christmas we got a record player and I got my first record, 'Lola'. I never saw The Kinks play live but I've seen Ray Davies perform the song a few times and I love the way the middle aged audience sings along lustily in praise of a transexual. The magical Lola is a hero of the 20th Century and long may she reign.



L-O-L-A Lola!

No comments: