Wednesday 21 August 2013

The Return of the Great British Bake Off

The Great British Bake Off (hashtag #GBBO) returned to our screens tonight on BBC2 with an incredible explosion of tweets on Twitter. I really don't know what it is about this programme that makes people explode with passion (me included). It's not a standard foodie programme or a standard reality TV programme but there's something about it that draws us in.

I had never done any baking at all, not with my Grandma or Mam when I was young, but there was something about the last series that made me try making angel cakes. They were pretty damn yummy too.

The hosts are Mel & Sue who I've always liked and they're now cemented as hosts of this show. They're more than happy to exploit the double-entendres of baking (soggy bottoms and all that) as well as agreeing they'll need bigger clothes by the end of the series because of all the cakes they'll have tried. Alongside judges of Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood, they're the perfect combination to present this show.

So, OK, this might be a restricted viewing sport but it really does have mass appeal. There's something about cakes and bread and pies that pulls us all in. How well will they do this week?  Can the contestants do more than their specialty? Could they feed me and the nation in the event of World War Three - okay, no pressure people....

Welcome back and I will be watching your progress every week - get baking!

No comments: