Sunday 19 May 2013

Eurovision and Kristina Siegfrids - 'Marry Me'

I only ever seem to come across the Eurovision Song Contest at the last minute these days but I'm pleased I did this year since there were some great pop songs on show. I haven't been a regular viewer in recent years but the quality of songs and performances seems to have improved and I liked this years' show.

It was heavily dominated by the northern Europeans this year, particularly the Scandinavians with a new Eurovision anthem being written by Bjorn and Benny from ABBA (who won Eurovision 29 years ago with 'Waterloo'). The Balkan nations didn't get through this year which was a shame since they're always interesting (and always vote for each other). Of course, we didn't win but well done to Bonnie Tyler anyway.

My favourite song this year was 'Marry Me' by Krista Siegfrids from Finland from her album 'Ding Dong'. We were warned in advance that the song ended with a 'lesbian' kiss and that's what made Turkey decide not to screen the programme. The best comment of the evening was Graham Norton on BBC1 saying that if a girl on girl kiss offended you then you need to grow up. I can only agree. 

It's a fab song and a fab pop album!


No comments: